1440 Mineral Spring Avenue, North Providence, RI 02904
Phone: (401) 233-1180 | Fax: (401) 353-1465
Principal: Mrs. Amanda Donovan
When you’re family to a Whelan Elementary student, you’re also considered family to our school community. At Whelan, we educate the whole child, and focus on student wellbeing – not only academics. Several resources are provided through our school, including “MySchoolBucks,” a site that allows families to view meals offered at school and meal account information, as well as parent and teacher portals to keep families up-to-date with the latest classroom news.
We hope you’ll tap into these helpful tools, as well as the North Providence School Department as a whole and our partners at the Town of North Providence and Rhode Island Department of Education.
Breakfast Students: 8:55 a.m.
Breakfast will now be grab and go and served in the classrooms
School Opens: 8:45 a.m.
Students will not be allowed in the building prior to then, as there is no supervision until 8:45 a.m.
SOS Bell Schedule
- Students enter the building at 8:45 am
- School begins at 8:55am
- Lunch Grades K-2 12:05-12:35
- Lunch grades 3-5 12:35-1:05
- Bus students dismissed at 3:05
- Walkers dismissed at 3:15
Meals & Snacks
Children need healthy meals to learn. North Providence offers healthy meals every school day. Breakfast costs $.75 and lunch cost $2.45.
Your children may qualify for free meals or for reduced price meals. Reduced price is $.25 for breakfast and $.40 for lunch. This packet includes an application for free or reduced price meal benefits, and a set of detailed instructions.
Health & Safety
Dear Parents / Guardians,
- All incoming K students must be up to date with immunizations and physicals as mandated by the RI Dept of Health. If your child is missing any information, you will receive a note from me.
- For all students in grades 1 – 5 : When he/she has an annual physical exam, kindly ask the physician for a copy of the physical, so the health record can be updated.
- Annual dental visits are also required; kindly provide a copy of the annual dental visit.
- If you child needs medication on a regular basis, even tylenol, a medication order form must be provided
- Peanut / Tree Nuts: Any child who has a life threatening allergy must provide an epipen on the first day of school along with a physician order. We have a peanut free table in the cafeteria for the child to sit at.
- Asthma and inhaler use: If your child has asthma and will need an inhaler at school, a physician order must be provided along with an inhaler to remain at the school. There will be an educational program entitled “Draw a Breath” provided by RI Hospital which will be offered in the fall at Birchwood Middle School.
1440 Mineral Spring Avenue
North Providence, RI 02904
Phone: (401) 233-1180
Fax: (401) 353-1465